Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This thread is pretty much open for discussion:

So. What do you consider to be an RPG? Do you consider FF or Xenogears or GII to be RPG's? Or is your idea of RPing playing Pen and Paper Dungeons and Dragons? Opinions?

It's late over here, and I need some sleep, so I'll post later.

~Gecko

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There are 2 kinds of RPGs for me, although by defintion eveyr game is a 'roleplaying game' RPGs are really only:

Final Fantasy style games, in which you level up from killing enemies, gain better stats and abilities through the lvls or through items gained.

D&D style RPGs, in which you have much more control, and usually have a dungeon/game master who is god pretty much [img]tongue.gif[/img] You still gain experience and stats, but you have more control of how stats and abilities are distributed, usually by a skill tree

And MMORPGs like D2 and PSO fit in between.

And Zelda is NOT an RPG. It's an action/adventure, the only Zelda that has RPG aspects is 2, non eof the others do.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

RPG = Role Playing Game which seems like a broad definition since almost any game can fit under it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

GRANDIA II SPOILERS AHEAD IN THIS POST!
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

Well, "Roleplaying Game" began with D&D. In these games you actually "roleplayed" your character, and actually PLAYED/ACTED as him/her. Then, Square stuck the tag "roleplaying" on Final Fantasy 1. Soon enough, the definition of an RPG totally changed, and tons of so-called 'RPGs' emerged. I do not consider Diablo to be a roleplaying game. You select what abilities you want your character to have and that is about it. From there it is 100% hack n slash (unless you play Diablo very strangely.. that is with a group of friends, and give your characters personality... or something weird like that). PSO is the same sort of idea, except with a bit more freedom and variety. Console RPGs (that is, Xenogears, Grandia, etc.) INVOLVE you with your character, and you may make some dialgoue choices, but when it comes right down to it, no matter what you say to Sephiroth, he's going to attack you. No matter what you do, Mareg is going to die. You can't even SAY anything to him. It's just the way it is. You may become involved in the story or feel for the character, but you really aren't PLAYING as them. This is the new age RPG. Old age RPGs that have been "brought into technology" are usually on computers and are things like "Baldur's Gate" and maybe even some in NWN (depending on mods in that specific case).

Overall, if you are talking true and blue RPing, Xenogears doesn't make the cut. However, in today's new definition, it will. If someone calls FF an RPG, I will not make protest, however, I still don't think that is anywhere close. If someone says Zelda is an RPG, then I WILL protest. :-) People stick the label "RPG" wherever the hell they feel like it. Tomb Raider 3 was categorized by the producers under "Mysterious Roleplaying Game" (yeah, I know, wtf?!").

I have some more to say, but I have HW to do, so I'll blab more later.

Inactive Member One Classy Bloke's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

RPG = Fun game i wanna play.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hmmm that's a very specific definition, but to me an RPG is game where u play as certain char and they develop. it can be physically (leveling up) or personality wise w/a involved storyline. so yeah there's mine, oh and fun ^_^ then again why would i want to play something boring O_o

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A Role Playing Game, for me, it is what the decomposition of the three main letters say:

Role Playing:Acting like a character
    Game: A game.

It is a game in which you can act like a character that exists in it.

Obviously, under that definition, even Tekken would be a RPG.

But here is what i'd ask to a RPG for it to be good:
    Characters, Dialogs, Plot, Investigation, Fights, and levelling.
    All of them are tied by the plot, and anything that happens in the game, is defined in the plot (But the random fights)

Dialogs tell the the basis of the story, and how the characters should/would evolve in the game, they lead to fights against monsters (non random battles) or to investigations, that also may lead to more fights.

The plot should have interesting points, Funny moments, romantic parts, even deep and philosophical questions in it, but there is a word that can define what we all look for in the story of a RPG: Maturity. A mature, and complete, story, not only a few drafts of it, interleaved with lots of fights. A mature story may not be a lack in a good RPG. Even if it looks kiddish, a mature plot is a story that can be understood from the begining to the end.

Investigation: A good RPG should have investigation parts, it is, you don't move in the world because you've been said so, you do it because you may need it. For example, to find an odd object you need to rescue a character, who is being held into a place where waits an enemy who you must defeat... and so...

And of course, Fights. A good fighting system, either turn based or real time fights.. (or a mix of both..) should be mandatory.

Also, the evolution of the characters should be done in the way you want, for example, giving more importancy to magic skills on wizards/mages or swordmanship skills for warriors. To choose what you really want your character to be, that is what normaly, a good RPG implies.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alright, I had to have just read the most stupid thing about RPG's ever. Of course, it was another Gamefaqs Diablo II fanboy.

I had to take a screen shot of that one.

it is under the character layouts:

www.geocities.com/burning_gecko/memories

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sounds cool, Mike.

I mean, seriously, how can you POSSIBLY say "RPG's aren't based on roleplaying" if RPG stands for roleplaying game?!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think Star Ocean 2 is how a RPG should be like. Over hundread endings you can get. >_< Its impossible to see all endings! Impossible! Rah!
    <-- is not happy with not seeing all the endings. >_<

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast